Tuesday, April 5, 2022

The Gift of Sketchwaiting

 

4/1/22 Northgate

Instead of an annoyance, an opportunity for sketchwaiting is a gift. The challenge is that the time available is usually unknown. Will my name be called in moments, or is the doc running late, and it’s 20 minutes? The spouse guy’s errand should take only minutes, but it could take longer. The traffic light will likely change in seconds – surely long enough to capture the flock of pigeons on the wires above the intersection. 

Another challenge might be that subject matter is often limited to what is nearby. But you know me – I can sketch a rock in the driveway and be happy.

I choose the medium, page size and composition complexity based on how much time I think I will have. Sometimes it’s less than I anticipate, but I enjoy that tension. I appreciate the gift of sketchwaiting however long it lasts.




4/1/22 Northgate

11/23/21 Maple Leaf Ace Hardware

11/30/21 Whole Foods

12/24/21 International District pigeons



3 comments:

  1. Good sketches to capture something in your wait time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New vocabulary word invented by Northwest serious sketcher, Tina Koyama! "Sketchwaiting" Love it! This is a whole new healthy coping mechanism offered for free in a doc's office! today, at 11:00am, I begin sketchwaiting for the Zoom Call my dear doctor will do with me: just a checkup! Enhanced by sketchwaiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every waiting situation is enhanced by sketching! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...