Friday, April 22, 2022

Hot Pink, Cold Day

 

4/16/22 Maple Leaf neighborhood

Unlike the traditional ornamental cherries I usually put on my petal-peeping tour, the only Kwanzan cherry trees I know of in my area grow singly or in pairs, so their effect is not quite as dramatic. They make up for quantity, however, with their much showier hue – a true, bright pink rather than the near-white pale pink of ornamental sakura. They also peak several weeks later than their pale cousins, which I appreciate: Just when I think the pink season is over, the Kwanzans join the party.

Kwanzan beauty!

When I sketched
 these same trees last year, it must have been much warmer because I was able to get a better composition by standing on the sidewalk. On Saturday morning, the temperature was only in the high 30s, so I stayed in my car. I’m happy that the trees and flowers seem to know it’s spring because I’m having difficulty believing it.

Technical note: Learning my lesson the previous day at Swanson’s when I had inadvertently brought the background forward, I used non-soluble pencils for everything in this sketch except the pink and magenta blossoms. I could then spritz the blossoms freely to intensify the color, and the foliage behind them stayed in the background.

1 comment:

  1. Your method worked well in this and the bright pink blossoms really stand out. Sorry you had to resort to sitting in the car due to the cold!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...