Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Precious and Fleeting

 

8/5/21 Artists painting model Mike at Gas Works Park

Unlike urban sketching, which many of us continued doing throughout the pandemic, all in-studio life drawing came to an abrupt halt in March 2020. Those of us who practiced regularly that way had to resort to online “life” drawing or simply did without.

Last week during life drawing at Gas Works Park, feeling safe and comfortable outdoors on a lovely morning – I felt very fortunate and privileged. In the company of other artists, most of whom I only met when I started attending these plein air sessions this summer, I felt an easy, quiet camaraderie: We don’t chat much, but we all know we share the same love for life drawing. We all missed it so much last year, and we don’t take it for granted. (Although some in-studio life drawing classes have resumed, Gage’s open sessions have not.)

With the Delta variant raging, I don’t know whether open sessions will resume in the fall, nor whether I’d participate even if they did. Everything I do right now feels precious and fleeting.

8/5/21 Mike (about 5 min. each; other sketches about 15-20 min. each)


During the model's 15-min. break, I made a postcard
to send to a friend --  and indulged in possibly
the most cliche Seattle postcard scene I could find!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...