Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Music for Yoga in the Park

 

8/26/21 Fran Gallo leads her class in the tree pose as Third Harbour plays traditional Celtic music.

My yoga instructor Fran Gallo has offered a Yoga in the Park class series every summer for 21 years. In recent years, it became my tradition to sketch her class annually. I skipped it last summer, but this year I felt comfortable resuming my tradition. Even more convenient for me, she moved her class from Wallingford to Green Lake in a nice shady spot with trees.

We didn’t need the shade last Thursday, when the wind and cloud cover made it downright chilly by early evening, but it was a class I couldn’t miss: Third Harbour, a trio playing Irish/Celtic music, performed lovely, traditional music for her students. As I sketched, I could feel my own and everyone’s blood pressure dropping as stresses of the day fell away. Fran begins every class with a dedication, and on that day it was “walking on sacred ground.” The music was ideal for connecting the mind, body and spirit with the earth.


It looks like all her students are doing different poses, but that's because as soon as I sketched one, the pose would change!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a soothing event for your body and mind...yoga and Celtic music. Nice capture of the poses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I think I can reply using my computer. I was in bed all day yesterday because of the booster, but am ready to teach today! Thank you for writing this wonderful blog post of my class and for capturing the experience so beautifully. You are truly skilled and gifted as an artist! Guess what, Third Harbour is coming to the park again this evening for an encore!! Yoga plus original Celtic music on guitar, mandolin, and cello. Heavenly and the weather promises to be beautiful. Wednesday, September 1st 6-7pm at Green Lake (Seattle) near the Bathhouse Theater. Bring your yoga mat. Every level of Hatha Yoga welcome. Plenty of shade available. Or just come to listen to the music and enjoy! Class by donation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...