Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Obon T-Shirt


A couple of months ago, someone with the Buddhist Church of Stockton (California) contacted me about images he had found online of my sketches from the Seattle Obon festival in 2016. The organization wanted to purchase the use of a couple of images for promotional materials for its Obon celebration this year. Saddened that Seattle’s Obon had been cancelled for the second year, I was happy to be able to contribute to the Stockton church’s festivities. (I declined the payment and donated it back to the church.) I was thrilled to see my sketches on the T-shirts they sent me! (T-shirts are still available for sale online.)

Last year when Obon (and all other summer festivals) was cancelled, I had hoped that COVID would be under enough control that we would be resuming festivities this year. Alas. Instead, the Seattle Buddhist Betsuin sold boxed food items (similar to Stockton’s event), but it’s certainly not the same as dancing in the street and seeing old friends. Maybe next year.

7-16-16 Bon Odori dancers

7/16/16 taiko drummers performing at Obon

8 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats! Your sketches look perfect for the T-shirt! My husband and I stumbled upon Taiko drummers in Sebastopol one year and I’ve never forgotten the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Taiko is pretty exciting, isn't it? Both my nieces are taiko drummers, so I've had great exposure to it!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Your energetic sketches look really good on the t shirt. When I saw this on Insta, I thought you had a relative in the church. But they just found you randomly. That's even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's surprising and fun when my sketches get found randomly on the Internet -- and so easy when I don't have to do anything but give permission! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your sketch looks great on the t-shirt. It always is fun to have someone find your sketches on the internet and then be contacted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! It's surprising to me that my sketches would be found on the Internet that way!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...