Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Café Arta with Primaries

6/18/21 Cafe Arta

 Café Arta’s patio was an ideal place to sketch on a lovely afternoon (before our heatwave began), this time with Carol and Natalie for company. Between a plate of delicious mac & cheese and an affogato, the patio plants and trellis shadows were an opportunity to try the primary triad I had studied in Kathleen Moore’s class – with a difference.

Instead of using Prismacolors, I picked out hues in the Caran d’Ache palette to match the Prismacolor triad – Process Red, Canary Yellow and True Blue – as closely as possible: Purplish Red (350) in the Supracolor line and Yellow (10) and Phthalocyanine Blue (162) in the Museum Aquarelle line (see below). As for the Prismacolor Black Grape that I like for shadows, I couldn’t find a good Caran d’Ache match (Supracolor Violet 120 doesn’t come close), so I used my usual Museum Aquarelle Payne’s Gray (508) instead.

With only the three primary hues, it’s difficult to match “reality” (which is an effective way to bust me out of my usual self-imposed color box), but I love the shimmering quality of light in the trees where yellow predominates. I wouldn’t use the triad for everything, but now that I understand how to use it, those pencils have become part of my regular palette. And I’ve made a mental note for next winter’s minimalism challenge: This triad would be an ideal limited palette.

Prismacolor primary triad and matching Caran d'Ache pencils

6 comments:

  1. The shimmer in the trees is a really great affect! How would these pencils do added to your Secondary palette? (one I love by the way!) Would it add versatility or take it away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think adding a couple of "convenience" greens (one yellowish, one dark) to this primary palette would speed up my sketches a bit, but I'd lose some of the shimmer that I get from the blue/yellow mix here. I don't think the violet or orange would add much, though.

      Delete
  2. Interesting review of multicolored pencil, and really love the results on the nut/lemon. I am hooked on your 'Fueled.... " blog. Practicing multicultural facial features right now, Have a Bee getting ready to buzz into a children's book. would like to show her to you but don't want to clog your comments.Again, thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy to know that you are enjoying my blog! :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi, there! Love your blog, happy I stumbled across it. It's not just inspiring me to sketch more in coloured pencil, but actually makes me want to do it -which are two totally different things ;)
    Looking forward to your next one, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that my blog is inspiring to you! :-) Happy sketching!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...