Friday, June 18, 2021

Bellevue Botanical Garden

 

6/17/21 volunteer gardeners

After last Sunday’s drizzly start to the return of USk Seattle, yesterday’s outing at Bellevue Botanical Garden felt like a well-deserved treat. With temps in the low 70s and sunshine all day, it was ideal sketching weather!

Dazzled and overwhelmed by the layers and layers of green everywhere, I decided to warm up with a few gesture sketches of some volunteer gardeners who work hard maintaining the beautiful plants and grounds. The sketches are not too flattering, but their poses made me appreciate their back-breaking work all the more.

I took my time strolling up and down the many gently sloping paths through the shady gardens. Newly liberated in my post-vaccine life, I still marvel at the joy of wandering around maskless and not having to think about being too close to others. Finally one of several moss-covered stumps caught my eye long enough for a sketch.


Yao Garden

With less than an hour left before the throwdown, I wandered into the Yao Japanese Garden. Enough of leisurely lazing; it was time to tackle the jungle of greens. A few Japanese maples in the distance reflected the noon sun, and I heard Kathleen Moore’s mantra in my head: “If you can’t see it when you squint, don’t draw it!” Yes, ma’am – nothing but values of greens here!

Summer doesn’t officially begin for a few more days, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s here – and it’s as good as outdoor-sketching weather gets. Bring it on!

Edited: I meant to look up the last time I sketched at Bellevue Botanical. . . it was nearly eight years ago! No wonder it all seemed new to me. And just as overwhelming as ever!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...