Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Expedition vs. Lifestyle

9/27/23 Maple Leaf neighborhood

9/289/23 Maple Leaf

 A member of Urban Sketchers recently commented on one of my posts in the Facebook group that my sketches seem to be made spontaneously wherever I happen to be rather than a specific location I went to with the purpose of sketching there. I have been sketching spontaneously for so much of my sketching life that I hardly think of any other way to do it, but her comment made me stop and consider.

9/29/23 Maple Leaf

10/9/23 Green Lake neighborhood

I do think that most urban sketchers can be sorted into two stacks: the “expedition” sketchers (who plan a place to go, then go there to sketch) and the “lifestyle” sketchers (who sketch wherever they happen to be). Many sketchers do both, of course, but each type takes a different mindset and, interestingly, a different type of sketch kit.

I can usually tell just by looking at someone’s sketch kit which type they are. If they have piles of different materials and media, multiple sketchbook formats, maybe an easel setup and portable stool, all packed into a humongous backpack or tote, I’d venture to guess that they are an expedition sketcher. Conversely, a lifestyle sketcher keeps a fairly basic sketch kit with them at all times in their daily-carry bag.

10/20/23 Maple Leaf

Less than a year after I began sketching, I realized I was a lifestyle sketcher.
I began honing my sketch kit so that it would be an integral part of my daily-carry bag – not a dedicated bag I used only when I went out specifically to sketch. I’ve been honing that kit ever since, and now it’s as slim as it has ever been (or is likely to be).

10/21/23 Maple Leaf

10/27/23 Maple Leaf

Ever since sketching became my incentive for daily fitness walks several years ago (a habit reinforced by the first pandemic year when I wasn’t going anywhere), most of my urban sketching has been spontaneous. Ironically, with my rekindled interest in watercolors this year (and, for that matter, other media besides my usual colored pencils), I find myself building a rapidly growing auxiliary sketch kit that looks a lot like something an expedition sketcher would use (yes, I’ll show it sometime soon). It’s definitely too much for daily-carry, which is a bit frustrating because it means I’m limited to using these other materials only on planned outings instead of spontaneously.

11/2/23 Maple Leaf

11/8/23 Maple Leaf

Regardless of how that auxiliary kit develops, my daily-carry/fitness-walking sketch kit will remain the same. After all, expeditions can happen only once in a while; life happens every day.

11/13/23 Maple Leaf

11/16/23 The Brothers from the NE 80th St. I-5 overpass, Maple Leaf

11/17/23 Maple Leaf

11/24/23 Maple Leaf


6 comments:

  1. "Opportunist" immediately came to mind as you described a lifestyle sketcher. You are ready to sketch whenever and wherever an opportunity arises. I admit I'm more of an expedition sketcher, noting things I'd like to capture as I go about my travels, then returning when I have a chunk of time and all my accoutrements for an enjoyable session. I do wish I was more spontaneous and perhaps someday I will work up to that. In the meantime, I do enjoy enjoy studying your lifestyle approach, very educational for the likes of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that reading about my lifestyle is helpful!

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm more of an expedition sketcher...although a lot of the time I have no destination in mind when I leave the house. I stop when I find something that calls me. My backpack is at the ready by the door most of the time. But I sketch spontaneously too. I keep a small sketchbook and pens in my purse and another in my car "just in case." One time I couldn't find anything else to sketch on when I was at some outlet stores and the fire alarms went off. We had to evacuate the stores. I wanted to sketch while I waited outside and all I had was a coupon book for the outlets...so I used that. I love that you have narrowed down your materials to just what you need to do your sketches while out walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, when I think of sketchers who are both expedition and lifestyle, I think of you immediately! You are ready, no matter what! I remember your coupon book sketch!! :-)

      Delete
  3. I am both an expedition sketcher and a lifestyle sketcher, I’m both a live reference sketcher and a photo reference sketcher too, and I’m both an urban sketcher and a studio sketcher as well. With all these labels, my process is the same - I look, I sketch, then I see and feel joy and say thanks for the miraculous works of these hands. -Roy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...