Tuesday, November 28, 2023

The Chirashi Test

11/22/23 Chirashi box from Seattle Fish Guys
 

Mike Daikubara is well known for both his urban sketches and prolific food sketches (the man seems to dine out nearly every day!). His colorfully depicted meals accompanied by written descriptions, commentary and overheard dialog often end up being mini restaurant reviews. Following him for many years, I discovered that we both use “the chirashi test” when trying unfamiliar Japanese restaurants, and it became a little joke between us. It’s an effective, economical way to sample the quality of the sashimi without investing in the sushi bar.

Thanks, Fish Guys!

As it has become our tradition (two years in a row is a tradition, right?), we let Seattle Fish Guys prepare most of our Thanksgiving meal this year. While there to pick up our big bag of eats, I spotted their grab-and-go chirashi box – something new that they had just started promoting. Since I’ve been buying from them for years, I obviously didn’t need to “test” the quality of their sashimi, but since it was my first chirashi there, it still qualified.

As you know, I rarely sketch my food (except for the occasional pastry), but in honor of Mike, I sketched my chirashi (which was delicious, colorful and a great value; the Fish Guys aced it).

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you and Mike now have a "tradition." Good sketch...makes me almost want to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...