Thursday, November 30, 2023

Late-Fall Backlighting

 

11/26/23 Wedgwood neighborhood

At various times of the year, I become more aware of the beauty of backlighting. When I look at my backlit sketches, it seems like I’ve caught it more often in spring and summer, but probably the best time is late fall and winter. The mid-day light might as well be mid-afternoon, and mid-afternoon already looks like the golden hour.

Before picking up a few groceries at Metropolitan Market, I pulled over a few blocks away where the yellow foliage in these trees stopped me in my tracks (at left). Or actually, it wasn’t so much the foliage as the low, “late” light (it was only 2:30 p.m.) that set the trees ablaze.

I usually take my walks before mid-morning, but the temps then have been in the low-to-mid 30s. Walking on either side of noon, the backlighting behind trees makes all the shadows reach toward me – an irresistible composition (below).





11/25/23 Roosevelt neighborhood

11/25/23 Green Lake neighborhood



1 comment:

  1. I am such a lover of trees and find your ideas to be quite irresistible here. Usually I take lots of phone photos because I am walking and don't normally sketch outdoors. Then I'll try to reproduce back at home and often it doesn't work well because the photos distort the shapes. (I don't have a car, so that's not an option.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...