Sunday, November 12, 2023

A Quiet Street Scene (with Brain Explosion)

11/8/23 Maple Leaf neighborhood
One thing I love about sketching deciduous trees in the fall seems like a paradox: the presence of pine trees and other evergreens. The fabulous red, orange and gold trees get all the glory this time of year, but it’s the dark green trees quietly standing by year-round that give those brilliant trees something to shine against.

I thought about this as I sketched this quiet neighborhood scene and wondered what would happen if I used the same magenta on the shadow side of the tall conifer that I used for the small Japanese maple at its base. The result wasn’t what I expected, but the attempt reflects some other thinking I’ve been doing since viewing a brain-exploding video:

Ian Roberts, the oil painter, instructor and author of Mastering Composition, explains a concept in this YouTube that I have been trying to do intuitively (for example, using dark purple for shadows as I often do lately) but haven’t really understood what I was attempting. As long as the values and intensity of a painting remain true, he says, the hues can be changed radically, and the painting will still “read” correctly. It all made so much sense when I heard him explain this. It was also gratifying to hear him articulate what I have been trying to grasp without really understanding intellectually – and now I do.

For a while now, I’ve been trying to avoid being such a slave to literal hues. Some artists express color with so much freedom that it’s obvious that they don’t have to actually see green skies or blue trees to sketch them that way. It’s much harder for me to be expressive with color, but I’d like to be able to use unexpected hues and still have my sketches (or paintings) make sense. This also aligns with my interest in learning to use color temperature: If the temperature makes visual sense, the colors used don’t have to be “real.”

Although this neighborhood sketch is not a successful example of the concept Roberts talks about, my brain is buzzing with it. You can bet I’ll be thinking more consciously about the concept going forward.

6 comments:

  1. You are always thinking. The unexpected hues work too. I like seeing people who stretch and use unexpected colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love thinking about concepts that are challenging but not over my head! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've always been fascinated with the use of radical colours in art--Van Gogh comes to mind and agree so much with your assessment of the deciduous fall trees which are just breathtaking against the greens. My own efforts tend to try to match the "real" hues, but I'd like to break away as well. Why do we feel the need to be so literal when a totally new colour might give a sketch surprise and depth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know -- it seems like being unexpected with color should be easy, but I think it always feels "safer" to stick to reality. Try the concept that Roberts suggests -- it's a "safe" way to tiptoe out of your comfort zone!

      Delete
    2. This was a fantastic lesson--thanks Tina! I think I will be trying some of that in my sketches!

      Delete
    3. Glad you found it informative, Louisa! It gave me so much to think about!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...