Sunday, November 5, 2023

Sketchwaiting Stories


10/4/23 Even with appointments, we had to wait
an hour to get vaccines. 
When I resort to sketching the drinking fountain, I'm getting desperate.

11/1/23 Long lines at the pharmacy have 
become routine... plenty of time for sketchwaiting.

Founded in 1890, Bartell Drugs was the oldest, still existing, family-owned pharmacy chain in the country. With stores in three western Washington counties, the chain promoted its localness by offering merchandise produced by smaller, local businesses.

When the chain was purchased by Rite Aid in 2020, I knew it was bad (and sad) news. Customer service has been declining at Bartell ever since, and the understaffed pharmacy has had long lines that I had never seen before the pandemic. Now I always have time to sketch while I’m waiting there (which I’m not complaining about, but it’s not a good sign for the store).

Rite Aid recently filed Chapter 11, and several Bartell stores will close soon. The one in the Roosevelt neighborhood that I’ve been going to for 35 years is on the chopping block. A couple of other Bartell stores are relatively convenient, but they are likely suffering from understaffing and other related problems, too. I’ll probably have to find a new pharmacy.

1 comment:

  1. I know that here the pharmacy lines have been longer too. In addition to their regular responsibilities the pharmacists now have to handle the additional task of giving the injections too. It definitely slows things down.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...