Sunday, November 26, 2023

Hack Job

11/26/23 Northgate

Usually when I sketch trees that have been hacked to make way for utility lines, a big bite has been taken out of the middle, but otherwise, the tree stands at its full height. Driving home from an errand in Northgate, I spotted this poor tree that had simply been chopped off completely. From the breadth of its lowest limbs, it’s obvious that the tree had stood quite tall at one point. I suppose we should be grateful that it wasn’t cut down altogether, but seriously? That is one major hack job.

Technical note: In a sketch like this, I don’t make much effort to put in clouds and sky, since they don’t seem important to the story, but I must say I’m pleased with how they came out here. I’ve had mostly good results using the “licked” sky technique with Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelles, and since I started using Hahnemühle 100-percent cotton watercolor sketchbooks, the results have been consistently good. It’s as close to a ”real” watercolor effect as I could ever hope to get using watercolor pencils.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, it is rather jarring to see how pruning is often done around power lines. But the trees seem to persist in spite of the hacking done to them. And as you say, at least we can be grateful that the trees were not removed altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always admire these trees for their persistence and tolerance. It's one reason I like to draw them.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a hack job! I think they hire butchers to cut around the power lines. I like your sky and the texture to the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "licked sky" technique. I often use a similar sort of method when I see that a watercolour pencil is just right instead of trying to mix or find the right hue in the paint box. And I am always devastated to see what the city does to trees since they are so necessary and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly the city arborists work with the utilities to avoid viciously over-pruning... maybe this was the only way to get around the wires.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...