Monday, October 18, 2021

Review: Derwent Chromaflow Colored Pencils

I like the parrot.

It’s always fun and exciting to open a fresh set of colored pencils and use them for the first time. I try to adjust my expectations based on a variety of factors – where they were manufactured, their price, the maker’s reputation, reviews by others, how they smell, how they look. Sometimes I have learned an intriguing fact about them – for example, a European manufacturer is distributing the set only in the US and not within its own country. How interesting! Bring ‘em on.

Although the basic set of 12 doesn’t include hues I would choose according to the CMYK-based primary triad I have been experimenting with, I still like using a primary triad to make initial sketches because it’s a good test of blending capability.






The basic set of 12 colors













For the USA market only

Attractive, asymmetrical end caps that are Derwent's trademark

Two out of three of my triad pencils have off-center cores.

10/13/21 Derwent Chromaflow pencils in Stillman & Birn Zeta sketchbook 

The new pencils are on the harder side, but as a big fan of
Faber-Castell Polychromos, I don’t hold anything against a hard colored pencil if it is richly pigmented. Unfortunately, these pencils do not seem to be, but I keep going with my sketch. 

Using light pressure, I apply a few layers of pigment. I start to notice that it’s becoming more and more difficult to see that additional pigment is transferring from pencil to paper. I remain patient as long as possible, trying to apply more layers. Now I’m getting frustrated, so I start to press harder, which doesn’t help. I’m using my favorite Stillman & Birn Zeta sketchbook, whose smooth surface typically takes hard colored pencils beautifully, but now I’m getting angry because I feel like I’m drawing on waxed paper.

Three-quarters of an hour later, I stop – I’ve had enough. I admit, sometimes I enjoy the challenge of fighting with a difficult pencil, but this wasn’t one of those times. Now you might look at this sketch and think, “Well, she eked out some decent color there . . . maybe those pencils aren’t so bad.” But I had to work dang hard to get even what you see there.

That is what it’s like to use a low-quality colored pencil with low pigment content.

Whoa, Tina – that’s harsh! And this made-in-Britain Chromaflow set is from Derwent, a highly reputable UK colored pencil maker!

But that’s just it: These are not Crayola or Rose Art pencils (and they certainly aren’t priced like those kids’ pencils: My set of 12 Chromaflow was $14.99 at Blick). I know that Derwent makes some very fine colored pencils. In fact, I am currently having a love fest with Derwent’s artist-quality Lightfast line, and I have long appreciated the company’s Drawing Pencil collection for life drawing, so I know they make high quality products. (Derwent’s low-end Artist and Studio pencils are more in line with Chromaflow’s quality, and those I do not love.)

That brings up another matter: How many low-end, low-quality colored pencil lines does one manufacturer need? And now a new one just for the US market!

I try to find one positive thing to say about any product I review. In this case, I love the drawing of the parrot on the tin. But I’m certain it wasn’t made with Chromaflow pencils.

Save your money.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry they don't have a lot of pigment like you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your informative review! It is sad that a reputable company like Derwent would even consider producing a product that is so inferior. And you know there will be many, many unwary US artists who will spend their precious coin for this US Only product thinking it is something special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, indeed, especially when we know they can make excellent products, too. And these aren't even cheap!

      Delete
  3. I'm a Prismacolor 150 girl myself, but looking to expand my rainbow a bit when an ad for the Chromaflow caught my eye…wow am I happy I found your review on them first! Thank you!
    Your newest faithful follower,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the review helpful! I don't know of any set that would expand on your set of Prismacolor 150! However, Derwent Lightfast, which are very soft (though they feel different from Prismacolor because they are oil-based instead of wax-based), has some unusual earthy tones that may be unique.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...