Friday, October 15, 2021

Lush

10/11/21 Wedgwood neighborhood


Although it’s easier to sketch a standalone tree, my eyes love lush layers of colors. This dead end in the Wedgwood neighborhood displayed an amazing variety of foliage. The CMYK primary triad I am currently using (Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelles Phthalocyanine Blue 162, Yellow 010, Purplish Red 350 and Black 009) gave me a good workout! It’s such a fun challenge to figure out which hues to deepen to capture both the values and the local colors.

Although I sometimes show the pencils I've used for still lives, I almost
never remember to include them in my trophy shots on the street. Here's a rare exception. 

4 comments:

  1. I am inspired to see your eye-catching sketches using such few colors! You really brought to life the autumn colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy, I'm glad you like the sketch! I am loving the challenge of this triad! It's been eye-opening for me to realize how few colors I really need.

      Delete
  2. You showed the depth of the background trees nicely. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying not to shy away from these mass views of foliage!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...