Saturday, August 17, 2024

This Moment

 

7/6/24 Maple Leaf

Although plants and animals suffer from lack of rain, I appreciate this time of year when I can go out for my daily walk without checking the weather first (in other words, no excuses). Sometimes I have to consider the heat, but I don’t mind planning my walks for early morning if I have to – that’s the best time anyway, when the air is still fresh and the day unburdened (and I get to see lots of dogs on their walks).

7/7/24 Maple Leaf (Unexpected to see a Goldfish Crackers truck in the 'hood!)

When I know I have time to sketch as much as I want, I try to find some kind of narrative to what I observe. It’s always challenging fun to put the sequence together, not knowing what will follow each sketch until I draw it. Occasionally I give myself the additional challenge of narrating the sequence with a haiku (usually prompted by whether I have space on the page).

7/8/24 Mt. Rainier from Maple Leaf Park

Often I attempt neither narrative nor haiku – just the usual random walk-sketches that have made up the bulk of my urban sketching for years now. Although we still have several more weeks of reliably dry and pleasant walking weather, this time of year always feels precious and fleeting. Each sketch is a mantra: Appreciate this moment.

7/10/24 Maple Leaf

7/15/24 Maple Leaf
7/24/24 Maple Leaf

7/22/24 Maple Leaf

7/28/24 Cloud City Coffee (This is one of my ongoing self-challenges:
Trying to draw only part of what I can fully see. It's never as easy
as it seems like it should be.)

7/30/24 Green Lake and Maple Leaf

8/2/24 Maple Leaf

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...