Friday, August 30, 2024

Healing Comics

 

4/26/24

When my interest in making diary comics was reignited last spring, one idea I had was that the comics format would be a way for me to process my feelings about my difficult years as Greg’s caregiver. In the seven months since he moved to assisted living, I’ve been making comics occasionally about my experiences and feelings as they were occurring; beginning with the present and working backward can be an effective approach to facing the past.

4/28/24

In the meantime, I read autobiographical comics (one favorite is Pittsburgh by Frank Santoro) and graphic novels (Fumio Obata’s Just So Happens is a stunning example) by various artists to get ideas.

5/1/24

In the back of my mind as I read, I tried to form narrative approaches to telling my caregiving stories. I knew that writing a book in this format, especially with little experience drawing comics, would be a huge undertaking that could take years.

5/6/24

What would be the purpose of making such a book? Primarily, self-therapy and recovery. Secondarily, autobiographical comics on the subject of dementia and dementia caregiving are probably rare (I could find only one). if I decided to make my book public, it could be helpful to other caregivers.

5/12/24

After much consideration, I’ve decided that reliving and re-experiencing feelings through writing, while potentially healing, would be too painful. I didn’t want to make the commitment of time and energy required to complete or even start it. Maybe someday, after time has done its healing work, I might reopen the idea. But for now, it’s closed.

5/19/24

Despite that, I have found the diary comics format to be helpful in processing current feelings. Shown here are some I’ve made since February.

6/2/24
8/29/24

8 comments:

  1. Goodness . . . this tugs at my heart. To be honest, I felt blessed that my husband was taken suddenly in an accident. I didn't think I could bear watching him suffer and slowly die. That was over 20 years ago and I still miss him, his comradery, his touch, his support, our private jokes, our explorations. Your experience so different yet similar in some ways. I do think a comic style book like this would be perfect and so helpful to others but I also understand how difficult it would be for you to write it. Maybe someday it will feel less painful, maybe not. But thanks for sharing these pages of your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing these pages. <3

    I might have missed this... do you draw some of these comics on location? Like the one on the bench? Or are they all from memory?

    Huey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Huey. All of these were done from memory, imagination or photo references. The ones on the bench were from imagination, though I had a photo of the bench to help with perspective.

      Delete
  3. These are so touching and heartfelt. I think creating these is a good release of some of your feelings, but I would think it was also draining. If you did an entire book I think I would be sobbing thru the whole thing. I love that his left hand was polished and not the right. Thank you for sharing these and leaving off on such a positive message to live this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a moving post. In general I am not much in tune with the comic book style, but in this case it seems just right … and very beautiful. Thank you.

    You ask, "What would be the purpose of making such a book?" Do you really need an answer to that question? You are an artist, Tina: the purpose of creation need only be creation — to take something inside yourself and make it into art. Art is a partnership that requires participation by both the artist and the viewer. Each person who views the work finds the purpose for themselves.
    ~ David Miller

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...