Saturday, August 10, 2024

Finishing Ravenna

 

8/1/24 Ravenna neighborhood. This Doug fir is one of the most magnificent street trees in this series -- enormous and split right down the middle.

These are the last of the street trees in the Ravenna neighborhood documented in Taha Ebrahimi’s book, Street Trees of Seattle. These are also probably the last I could do on foot, which is sad, as I’ve so enjoyed having street trees as a destination and purpose of my daily walks this summer. Ironically, getting into my car to go after a tree requires more effort because I like to use gas efficiently. I always feel like I need to have another errand or appointment in the same direction or area. But the documented trees will also give me a good excuse to explore neighborhoods I might not get to otherwise.

The most notable tree here, from my perspective, is the Italian cypress (below). It was so completely obscured by the shade of the larger trees around it that I could hardly see it. I wondered how it could ever get enough sunlight to survive – and it wasn’t looking very healthy.


8/1/24 Mini peach and Italian cypress, Ravenna neighborhood

8/6/24 English walnut, Ravenna neighborhood

Material note: I’ve started a new Uglybook – in tan! With so many vibrant, saturated colors available, why would I take a turn with such a traditional hue? Maybe I’ve had too many bright colors consecutively and needed a palette cleanser? Actually, back in the Dark Ages when toned books came only in tan or gray, I enjoyed making tonal sketches on tan paper. It’s a nice change. And at the rate I fill these little books, it won’t be long before I’m back to something brighter.

2 comments:

  1. I like the massive size of the Douglas fir. The mini peach looks so tiny. I like the tan ugly book...looks like capuccino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't so sure about the tan book when I started, but I've warmed to it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...