Monday, August 19, 2024

Heads are Over-Rated

 

8/13/24 Green Lake Village courtyard

After sketching the sequoia, I had planned to walk home directly, but the sketch took longer than expected, and I suddenly found myself famished. I decided to grab a bite at PCC while I worked on a haiku about the sequoia (see previous post).

Finished with that, I started sketching my lunch and other things I saw in the Green Lake Village courtyard. At upper right, I enjoyed drawing the strong shape of the man’s hand against his face, but then I badly botched the shape of his head. Rather than try to fix it, I remembered how opaque Sharpie Creative Markers are – two of which I happened to have in my bag. A couple of layers of acrylic paint and voila! No more botched head. The hand was the most interesting part about him anyway.

Speaking of Sharpie Creative Markers, in my review (linked above), a minor complaint was that these markers are available only in sets. I broke the white one, which is the most useful to me. I’ve since learned that Blick carries a 2-pack containing black and white, which is better than buying all 12 colors just to replace the white. I admit, though, that Im having fun with the other colors, too! They layer nicely without leaving behind marker-y streaks.

2 comments:

  1. Fun sketches and I don't mind him without his head at all. I was at our Blick store yesterday and they didn't have the Sharpie Creative Markers in a pack or the 2-pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Blick retail store doesn't seem to have a lot of things that their online store has. I guess they don't have the space to stock everything, but it sure would be convenient to just get it from the store instead of ordering online!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...