Saturday, August 31, 2024

Cloud City and Maple Leaf Park

 

8/26/24 Cloud City Coffee and Maple Leaf Park

Although we’re both big Macrina fans, Mary Jean and I decided to break the mold and meet at Cloud City Coffee for a change. Just a few blocks further north, Cloud City doesn’t have the variety or breadth of pastries, but the vibe is pleasantly quieter, homier and lower key. Even so, my Nutella croissant was nothing to sniff at – a perfectly fine piece of pastry for an appropriately cloudy Monday morning.

After a bit of chatting, sketching and noshing, we walked to Maple Leaf Park. I finished my page spread with the iconic water tower, the less-iconic Comcast tower and some pickleball players. After that, I went over to get a view of the basketball hoop, where a couple of boys were playing and arguing.


It was fun to catch some sketches before the rain started an hour later.

4 comments:

  1. Nice variety of sketches!! That croissant is calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy studying your sketch technique with what may be obvious things suddenly setting off a lightbulb for me. It was the third viewing of the top spread to look at the watertower mentioned in your next to last paragraph that it dawned on me that you let the color of the paper do the work, not addition of colored pencil or marker. Duh, I am tempted to say. Gotta work on that myself rather than complaining about the few sketchbooks I have with toned paper I think too dark. It's really a beautiful rendition of the tower with trees below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for observing, and I'm glad you find my sketches useful to observe! The pale blue water tower has always been troublesome to me because when I color it realistically, it just blends in with the sky. Ignoring "real" colors is much easier!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...