Thursday, March 10, 2022

Whatever Journal Update

 

The whatever journal book I just filled was a slightly larger-format
Field Notes Signature edition (on top).

I just started a third Field Notes notebook for use as my whatever journal, so I’m filling about one per month. Despite (or maybe because of) the randomness of its contents, I’m finding it more satisfying to fill one notebook quickly rather than multiple, compartmentalized notebooks that take longer to fill.

I am especially enjoying the chronological integration of skyscapitos, 100-Day Project drawings, urban sketches from my walks, scribbles of people this week during the One Week 100 People challenge (more on that soon) – almost all the sketches I make except larger ones with color that demand better paper. If I were still drawing my hand every day (don’t worry; I’m not), I would probably put those sketches into my whatever journal, too. More than any other sketchbook or written book Ive used, it feels like a true journal that collectively documents my day-to-day life.

A sketch made on loose paper was taped right in.
Another pleasure in the randomness is the ease with which I can incorporate sketches that were made on other papers. For example, I made a sketch on a loose sheet for my review of Rite in the Rain paper. Normally, I wouldn’t have a place to put a sketch like that, but it took no thought at all to simply use a couple of strips of washi tape to adhere it to the Field Notes I was using for my whatever journal (at right). (Did I mention that my washi tape collection has inexplicably grown in the past couple months? Strange how that happens.)

When Weather Bunny gave a weather report on 02/22/22, the sketch required a page in a red Sweet Tooth Field Notes. Since Sweet Tooth pages are perforated, it was a no-brainer to rip it out and again adhere it with washi (below). Done.

Weather Bunny sketched in a red Sweet Tooth was torn out and 
washi'd in.

These taped-in pages are fully inspired by Nina Khashchina’s fabulous sketchbooks, which contain translucent overlays, glue-ins and many other visual and textural delights. How I would love to leisurely page through one of her sketchbooks! (If you want to be inspired too, be sure to view one of her flip-through videos.)

In February I used a slightly larger Field Notes Signature edition. I love the heavier paper (intended for sketching, it can support a very light wash), its light tooth that’s wonderful with graphite and especially the larger but still comfortable format. In fact, I miss all three qualities, now that I’ve returned to a standard Field Notes. Maybe I’ll go back to Signature in a month or so – or not. Since paper quality is not a consideration for my whatever journal, choosing the next book – any book – is at least part of the joy of the process.

The cover of the Field Notes I just started has an original illustration by local artist Ali Serra (Etsy shop: ErnestTheodore).

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Inspiration, as always! When I read about the perforations in the Sweet Tooth, I thought, "Hey! I wonder if the Harvest FN that I am using for my daily nature/garden notes are perforated?" Sure enough! I was going to keep my nature scribbles in a separate box, since I'm filling a book in about a month and a half, but now I might washi them sheets in my daily scribble journal and have in all integrated! Great! Thanks! (I found the most appropriate hamster washi at Daiso, of course. Who does hamsters better than the Japanese?) Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvest and Sweet Tooth are the only perfed Field Notes! I love them both for that! Hamster washi??! I was going to say, "Who knew," but of course, we both knew it would be somewhere -- like Daiso. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...