Monday, March 21, 2022

Frustration

 

3/13/22 Learning the hexagonal shape of the faucet handle in a previous exercise
helped when I drew the matching faucet.

My 100 Day Project of drawing from memory continues, and it’s frustrating. I don’t really know how to measure improvement. The longer I wait between observing and sketching, the worse I do, so if I wait a shorter length of time, my results usually look better. If I choose a simpler subject, it’s easier to draw, of course, so it might look more successful, but that’s not necessarily an accurate measure of my memory retention. I also do better if I call up a mental image of the subject periodically between the initial observation and the time when I draw, but that takes a lot of focus (and more memory!) to remember to do that.

In general, my results have been OK, some better than others, but it’s disappointing not to see a trend of improvement (like I did when I practiced drawing with my non-dominant hand for 63 consecutive days) or more insights. Perhaps my only clear insight was the one I made last week about my weakness in proportions. That was useful in helping me target my learning.

3/14/22 The curvy, organic shape of these scissors was especially difficult --
I couldn't name it for myself as a memory aid. 

Although I have found it difficult to draw from memory even when the subject is something I see and use daily, it apparently does help to view the subject regularly. The stapler is a good example (see below): It resides on Greg’s desk, so I don’t see it regularly. I also waited more than six hours to draw it after observation, and I got many parts wrong. That leads me to believe that regular, ongoing viewing, even if I don’t think I’m paying attention, probably does help in drawing from memory.

Beginning with Day 34, I changed my tactic for this project. I’m still drawing from memory, but in a way that I think will be more directly applicable to real-life scenarios. Will report in soon on whether that’s true.

3/16/22


3/15/22 Not a bad design for a stapler... but it's not this stapler (below)!

3/17/22

8 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting project Tina. I think what it is showing is how important drawing is to visual memory - similar to how making written notes helps us retain details from a book or lecture.
    I wonder if making a small schematic diagram when you study an object, or even just written notes of your observations, would increase the amount of detail you retain later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting but also extremely frustrating! I think small schematics would be very helpful, but I'm not sure how much I can do without feeling like I'm "cheating." Maybe if I make the schematics from different angles as the original view, that would be OK. It's a good idea -- I'll try it!

      Delete
  2. I'm watching with interest, as always! I think the comment you made with one of your sketches, about the application to Urban Sketching (especially of people), is the best driver to this exercise. Do you feel an improvement in being able to keep a memory of a moving object that you are sketching? That would be a great benefit! Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would, indeed, be a terrific benefit -- but so far, I have not perceived an improvement in any way! ;-) Maybe by Day 100...?

      Delete
  3. I think you are visualizing these really well. I think some objects, because they are more familiar, would be easier to sketch after a break of time. I have a hard enough time sketching something correctly while looking right at it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only Day 39... I hope I have the brain to continue! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Intricated and polyhedral shapes are the worst to draw. One proportion wrong and the whole looks lopsided. I have not even dreamed of trying to draw these from my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me 10 years of observational drawing practice to get up the gumption to try this!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...