Monday, March 14, 2022

Proportions


3/9/22 I did well on the proportions here.

3/6/22














I’m more than a quarter way through The 100 Day Project, and I’m beginning to learn more about what kinds of visual information my brain has more difficulty remembering than others.

For all of the sketches shown here, I waited about two to four hours to draw from memory after observing the subject. In most cases, I got the important details and shapes right (so I’m improving in that regard), but getting accurate proportions is difficult for me – even when I have roughly measured while observing and even when I think I have a visual image firmly planted in my mind as I draw.

3/8/22 Proportions are way off

The nut chopper is the best example: While observing, I mentally noted that the lower compartment was larger than the upper, and I measured with my finger to confirm that. My drawing does reflect that, but then I didn’t make the overall height proportional to the width. Even when drawing from direct observation, getting accurate proportions can be challenging, so I suppose this shouldn’t be surprising. But when drawing while observing, I usually block in proportions with small tick marks, then measure to confirm, and then correct as necessary. If it’s a complex subject, I will measure first before blocking in, make marks, then check again afterwards. When drawing from memory, I can’t make any confirmation measurements by observing. 

The bathroom sink faucet handle was the most interesting to draw. After looking at and using this handle multiple times daily for nearly 20 years, I noticed for the first time that it’s completely built of hexagonals – like a pencil! 

3/7/22 Almost everything on this faucet handle is a hexagon.

A few days later I drew the toilet paper holder, which has hexagonal escutcheons that match the faucet handles. The shape was familiar, so I did better on that this time. The harder part was getting the perspective and foreshortening on the toilet paper roll right. It occurs to me that I have been training myself for a decade to draw what I see and not what my brain thinks it knows. Now I have nothing to look at, so I have to rely on my brain, which is back to thinking it knows!

3/12/22 The escutcheon that matches the faucet handle wasn't difficult
compared to the toilet paper roll itself!

I am deliberately choosing common objects in my home that I use and look at regularly. It’s amazing how much I don’t see every day. Every minute. And it’s fascinating to see what’s going on (or not) in my brain!

3/10/22

3/11/22 I did well on this one... except that I put the top opening on the wrong side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...