Sunday, March 20, 2022

Pre-Peak Petal Peeping

 

3/17/22 Maple Leaf neighborhood

This classically pruned sakura is one that I see regularly on my walks. For the past two years, I’ve wanted to sketch it, but its peak lasts about five minutes, and my timing has always been off. This year I decided not to wait until it peaks; instead, I caught it early. Interestingly, if you catch a cherry early, its buds are a darker pink than its blossoms, so you can use more pink. That’s easier than trying to capture the near-white pink of full blooms.

I was going to add a few more things to this sketch, but it started raining, so I called it good. Such is early spring urban sketching.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you use grey here, especially in the tree. I have a hard time using grey in my art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And interesting to hear your view of gray... it's my go-to dark for almost everything! I have a harder time using less neutral darks.

      Delete
    2. I seem to always use blues instead! Or sometimes purple or teal.

      Delete
  2. I think this sketch has just enough to it. I love the pink. Glad you caught it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...