Thursday, September 30, 2021

Gage Life Drawing is Back!

 

9/25/21 artist at work at Gage Academy

Will (20-min. pose)

At long last, life drawing is back at Gage Academy! I mean real life drawing, not on Zoom, which I appreciated throughout the pandemic but just wasn’t the same. Last Saturday, more than a dozen artists turned out for the much-anticipated return. A group that large would not have fit comfortably (or safely) in any of Gage’s studios, but out on the lawn in front of St. Mark’s Cathedral next door to Gage, we could spread out as much as we wanted in the brilliant, 70-degree sunshine.

As has been my habit at the informal life-drawing sessions at Gas Works Park, I moved around after each 20-minute sitting to get a different view of model Will’s single pose. Eventually I backed up behind the group and sketched a couple of the artists at work. Although long poses are not my favorite, it just felt good to know that life drawing at Gage was an option again.

Will (20-min. pose)



Of course, I don’t know how many more outdoor sessions the school will be able to offer, and I’m not sure whether I’ll be comfortable participating indoors, so my joy may be short-lived. But I’m grateful to Gage for whatever drawing opportunities there might be.

The last time I attended in-person life drawing at Gage was in November 2019. Reading my blog post from that time and remembering the session, it’s strange to think that I would not be able to participate again for nearly two years. Back then I thought this luxury would always be an option. Now I know better, and I do not take it for granted.

Artist painting Will

More than a dozen artists enjoyed sunny drawing on the lawn outside Gage and St. Mark's.


I would have attended even without the free donut!

St. Mark's Cathedral next door to Gage

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...