Thursday, September 16, 2021

The K in CMYK

 

9/13/21 Crown Hill neighborhood

On an errand in the Crown Hill neighborhood, I thought I’d do some leaf peeping and sketching on the way home, but even without fall color, this stand of big old trees caught my eye.

In compositions like this, the Jeep and other cars are important contextual elements, but I don’t want whatever color I put on them to pull the eye away from the part that caught my eye. I tend to draw them in neutral gray, but sometimes that doesn’t seem strong enough. As I mentioned recently, I have been trying black lately as my neutral dark value color. I go back and forth on whether I like it, and in this case, I do. It occurs to me that the K in CMYK (which is the basis of the primary triad I have been experimenting with) represents black (it actually stands for key color), so maybe black makes sense.

2 comments:

  1. I think the black works well in this...strong enough but not pulling your eye away from the COI. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to watch it so that it doesn't get too dark where I don't want it, but I think I like it better than gray.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...