Friday, November 22, 2019

Red Platform


 
11/18/19 Timothy (20-min. pose)
A couple of weeks ago, I talked about how sketching apples regularly helped me to see and understand the subtle highlight that gets reflected from a white surface under the fruit – and how long it took me to see that same reflected highlight under a life-drawing model’s breasts. I ended that post with the observation that although it took me a long time to internalize that lesson, once it is seen, it can’t be unseen.

Last Monday at the Gage studio, the model’s platform was covered with red fabric, which reflected subtly on Timothy’s skin. I noticed immediately but had to wait for a 20-minute pose so that I would have time to apply the red. Lessons seen cannot be unseen.

(A lesson I never seem to learn is keeping the materials I carry to life drawing to a minimum. Time to clean out my bag! Check back tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...