Thursday, September 23, 2021

Ocean Shores, Part 2: Shells

 

9/15/21 crab parts sketched in situ

Nothing like a strong, single source of light!
Ocean Shores beaches are full of washed-up shells. This was new to us compared to Oregon’s Cannon Beach, where we more commonly see lots of kelp but not many shells. Crabs, clams, oysters and scallops were among the many shellfish remains we saw in all sizes. Some shells had been without their original owners for so long that they were encrusted with barnacles.

On one very sunny afternoon, I looked for good specimens that I could draw in situ. There’s nothing like a strong, single source of light to make still life drawing easier! When I walked on the beach, I took with me only my minimal-palette “pandemic” sketch kit (which now has even fewer colors than what’s shown in last year’s post), so I had the fun challenge of mixing hues I normally use in the urban environment – like stop sign red and heavy-equipment yellow  to sketch organic critters.

Although I had picked up a few shells, Greg was the big collector. Back at our cottage, I went through all the pretty specimens he had found and drew my favorites at the kitchen table (I had to draw the Dungeness crab leg right away and then toss it, as it was not smelling great; it was obviously only recently separated from its owner). Kitchen lights coming from all directions made it difficult to find the forms and cast shadows, but I had fun trying to capture the shell patterns and details. Now I have a whole box of shells to choose from when I need a still life to sketch this winter.

Sketched at the kitchen table

Too many lights in the kitchen, but more colors in my palette.

This was one of the tiniest crabs I spotted.

Many more to choose from when I sketch still lives this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...