Sunday, September 8, 2024

Exhilaration

 

8/31/24

Sketching on light rail trains is chancy in many ways: First, there’s the general motion of the car, which makes every mark an adventure (though nothing compared to the buckin’ bronco ride of a bus). I like using a brush pen to make the adventure even more exciting. Then there’s the limitation of whatever or whomever might be in view. Finally, fellow passengers on both buses and trains leave unexpectedly, but on a bus, their body language tends to gear up for the stop – I usually have a few seconds to finish up. On the train, riders make no indication of their intentions, and then suddenly leap out of their seats without warning as soon as the train stops.

All that tension is exhilarating (if frustrating)!

By the way, the sketch at upper left on the red page … what is it? Looking at it a few days after I drew it, I was reminded of the old optical illusion showing an image of either a young woman or an old woman’s profile. Hint: The white spot was a light reflection.

8/19/24

8/19/24

2 comments:

  1. It is funny that certain modes of transportation cause different line control. Sometimes I ride the Long Island Railroad into the city and it is smooth, but sometimes it is like someone is shaking the car. lol Luckily most of the people who are on the train going into the city are on it for their full ride into Manhattan, so if I can see them I usually have enough time to sketch them...but the seats have high backs that block a lot of the view. I like the sketch of the guy with the curly hair on the red page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a new challenge on public transportation! But I know we're both up for it! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...