Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Basement Stairway Construction

 

9/11/24 Metropolitan Market, Crown Hill neighborhood

Just like urban sketching reflects where we live and where we travel, the contents of sketch journals and diary comics reflect whatever is going on in our day-to-day lives. I’m probably stating the obvious: While I usually find it challenging to maintain a sketch journal when my life is ordinary, my pages are prolific on days when a lot is happening. Even when I’m so busy with the “lot happening” that I hardly have time to sketch, I always find time to document what I want to remember about the day. The visual elements don’t necessarily even illustrate the activities; instead, they indicate the break I took to record.

On this day, I was moving all my clothes and shoes from my closet to another room (where they were piled in a heap on the floor) so that the carpet could be removed and replaced with new flooring. Meanwhile, a contractor was noisily rebuilding our basement stairway. When he warned me that in a few moments he would be doing something that would sound like six gunshots, I decided it was time to leave for a lunch break.

(By the way, when all of this is done, I plan to make a post showing before/after photos of these home-improvement projects that have been occupying my time.)

Color note: As simple as it looks, that cup of coffee was a fun color-mixing challenge. I stopped carrying brown in any medium years ago, so if I need brown, I must mix it. Since the paper was green, all I needed was dark purple and orange – my all-purpose secondary triad.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting note about mixing the brown for the coffee. Hadn't considered that with watercolors, the color of the paper underneath would also take part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the "underpainting" concept in which the paper or basecoat color shows through whatever medium is used. Challenging and fun to think about!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...