Thursday, April 18, 2024

New Bag, Old Bag, Big Bag

 

Lilac is the new pink!

Bags, bags, bags – how I love ‘em. I seem to acquire them the way some women acquire shoes. Here’s my latest (at right): Lilac for spring and summer! (It looks larger in the photo, but it’s the same favorite mini-size Rickshaw Zero Messenger Bag style that I’ve been using for years.)

I hadn’t planned to get a new bag – I wanted to keep using the neon pink one (below) that I had gotten to brighten up the early months of the pandemic. When I pulled it out last month, though, it was so faded and dingy that it didn’t evoke the freshness of spring. Laundering didn’t help. After three years of spring and summer use, the sun had really taken its toll on this known fugitive color. It may be the type of fabric that exacerbated fading. Last fall’s neon orange bag, made of waterproof X-Pac fabric, is still as bright as ever.

I always carry bags with the flap facing out. You can see how badly
it has faded compared to the back, which was consistently away from sunlight.
 

Yarn and knitting needles instead of guns and ammo.

While on the subject of bags, here’s another: I snapped the photo at left a couple of months ago right before a trip to Goodwill. It’s my “Jack Bauer” bag, named for the main character of the TV series, “24.” (We loved the series so much that we watched all nine seasons twice. The series began in 2001, which tells you how old the bag was.) Jack used this basic, utilitarian, canvas bag to haul various firearms, ropes, hacksaws, cigar guillotines, hand grenades, flashlights, ski masks and other devices necessary for fighting off terrorists. I used mine to store and haul my knitting projects. I had to laugh at the scale: Somehow it fit Jack better than it did me.

2 comments:

  1. I like the new lavender bag. It is funny that when you are using something consistently you rarely notice things like fading colors on a bag. That's quite a difference in color. I had to laugh at your Jack Bauer bag. I loved that show too, but didn't watch the series twice. When the show was airing for a short time I was traveling to visit my sister in California. I got to my gate at Kennedy and there was this distinguished looking man sitting at the gate busy reading wearing a long, wool coat. It was Donald Sutherland. I walked away from the gate and called Jerry to tell him I was through security with time to spare and told him that Donald Sutherland was going to be on my flight. He told me I should go over and say hello, but I really hesitated to disturb him. I got back to the gate and he was gone. I thought for sure I missed my chance, but when I boarded the flight he was sitting in first class with his wife. I went over and told him how much I've enjoyed the many movies he'd been in, and then said that I really, really loved Kiefer's new show. He broke out in a big grin and thanked me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great star sighting! I love Donald Sutherland! Thanks for the story, Joan!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...