Sunday, April 28, 2024

Metro Market Comics: Real Time and Memory

4/21/24 Crown Hill Metro Market

When Ching and I got together last week, it turned into an opportunity for both a real-time diary comic (Drewscape’s term for sketching on location with a comic approach) and a memory-based one. The first spread (above) is the “story” of things I saw at Crown Hill’s Metro Market café as we chatted and snacked.

Later that day when I was taking a walk, I started thinking about an encounter we had at the café (below). My page layout isn’t too pretty, but I’m pleased that the spread is a sequence of scenes forming a story arc. In addition, the text and images provide complementary information without being redundant. Reading the classic book about the comics genre, Understanding Comics, by Scott McCloud, I’m learning that those elements are central to the definition of comics.

Yay – a successful diary comic!

4/21/24 comic diary from memory

4 comments:

  1. I think your page spreads are definitely improving. I hope you can look back at previous spreads and see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I do think they are improving, too. I experimented a bit with colored pencils in the second spread, but I don't like the look. I prefer the starker look of markers. Ironic, since one reason I love colored pencils so much is the subtle shading they can do.

      Delete
  2. I like the story arc in the second page. Nice beginning, middle and end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's challenging, but I'm really enjoying thinking in this way!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...