Saturday, February 24, 2024

Macrina Vignettes

 



While good conversation and laughter ensued with Janet, MaryJean and Roy, I used Macrina Bakery as an opportunity to try the comic-like approach I had learned from Drewscape. I started the first page (above) with my orange hazelnut pinwheel (very hastily sketched so that I could get on with the business of eating it), but I didn’t plan at all, so the random heads didn’t fit well around the pastry.

I started a new page with a better plan about how to fit the various vignettes together. It’s not exactly a narrative comic, but the series of small sketches tells more than any single sketch would. Although the approach would work with any scene, it is especially effective with “nothing” scenes that apparently don’t have much going on, yet the sum is greater than the parts.

Good friends, good pastries, good times!

2 comments:

  1. I like the one of the pinwheel and the people. They look very interested in what you were having. The page with the boxes of sketches is good too. I think that works really well when there isn't something "big" that captures your attention, but you want to sketch anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing "big" capturing my attention would be me every day! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...