Monday, October 3, 2022

Montlake Bridge

 

10/1/22 Montlake Bridge from the Lake Washington Ship Canal Waterside Trail

Although I have driven across the Montlake Bridge innumerable times, I had never explored this part of the Lake Washington Ship Canal Waterside Trail, which offers a fantastic view of the bridge. Traversing the narrow passage between Lake Union and Lake Washington, the double-leaf bascule bridge was designed in the same Collegiate Gothic architectural style as the original buildings on the nearby University of Washington campus. These are some of the interesting historical facts I learned from Gabi Campanario at Saturdays stop on his Great(er) Seattle Sketching Tour.

As he did at Gas Works Park and Lynnwood Heritage Park, Gabi began with a short history lecture, then spent the bulk of the time demo-ing his approach to sketching the bridge and canal. Standing several feet behind him, I chose the same composition as he did with the guardrail in the foreground. It was very helpful to watch Gabi plan and block in the composition before beginning mine. The scope this time wasn’t quite as daunting as it was at Gas Works Park, but I made the task more challenging for myself by using only one A5 sketchbook page instead of a page spread. On a smaller page, I couldn’t put in as many details, and the top of the control tower barely made it in – but it did! I’m always tickled when everything fits.

(Incidentally, when I did my recent bag shakeout, I debated with myself about Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle Cobalt Green (182), which I use mainly for verdigris trim on European buildings. With no trips to Europe planned in the near future, do I really need to keep it in my kit? Take a look at the very top of that guard tower! Yes, I do!)




2 comments:

  1. This is super...and YES, you need that cobalt green pencil. It is fun to see you doing such a large scene. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! I do feel much more confident taking on a scene like this now!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...