Thursday, October 13, 2022

Graphite Crosshatching (and Quick Look at Zebra MLP2 Mechanical Pencil)

 

10/3/22 Zebra MLP2 graphite pencil in Stillman & Birn
Epsilon sketchbook (30 min.)

Although most of the exercises in France Van Stone’s “How I Crosshatch, Part 3” course are done with ballpoint pen and other inks, graphite is suggested for a few assignments. One demo was based on a photo of her Basset hound, Boris (a bonus lesson that she sent to students of any of her crosshatching courses). I loved his image so much that I used it right away to draw with ballpoint on Day 2 of InkTober.

I looked forward to eventually drawing Boris again in graphite, but I was waiting to get my Zebra MLP2 mechanical pencil with “square” leads, which France used in the demo. Yes, of course, I could have used any graphite pencil I already own (because, you know, I have a few), but for $2, this Zebra sounded like an interesting novelty.

The “square” leads are actually rectangular in cross section, like a carpenter’s pencil. The leads that came with it claim to be 2B, but they feel a bit harder than that. France uses the broad side to lay in thick, dark layers of graphite quickly, which she then finesses with crosshatching by using the point that results on the narrow side. It does make an interesting double-pointed implement, but my objection is to the mechanical pencil’s oval-shaped barrel. The oval shape is designed to orient your hand to the position of the lead, but I became distracted by my grip on it, which wasn’t comfortable. If I practiced using it more, I would probably become accustomed to the weird barrel. Or not.

Unusual oval-shaped barrel

Broad side of rectangular lead

Narrow side of rectangular lead

10/8/22 Blackwing pencil in S&B Epsilon sketchbook (30 min.)

Another graphite assignment was to make a 30-minute portrait. I had already used that lesson’s photo reference for an ink drawing, so I chose a different image for the assignment – a profile of a man I had drawn previously in gray brush pen. The brush pen I had used resulted in such a hairy Wolfman look that I cringe whenever I look at it. I wanted to give it another try using graphite (I used a Blackwing pencil this time). I like this one much better than Wolfman, and I think I got more accurate proportions and a closer resemblance, too. (Wolfman and both photo references are shown in my InkTober post.)

Although I’m thoroughly enjoying the challenge of learning crosshatched portraiture with ink, I must say that I felt wistful making these drawings with graphite. It just felt so good to have a pencil in my hand again! In fact, it felt so good that I sort of forgot about crosshatching except toward the end of each of these drawings. The way France crosshatches, it is an effective, efficient way to vary tonal values. But so is laying down graphite with the side of the lead as I have done here, where crosshatching over it seems unnecessary and even detracts. However, I’m committed to giving crosshatched ink portraits a solid, 31-day try this month, which should give me a good idea of whether crosshatching – “dirty,” clean or otherwise – is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...