Saturday, October 1, 2022

Dirty Crosshatching with France

 

9/27/22 30 min. exercise. Bic ballpoint in Stillman & Birn
Epsilon sketchbook (photo reference)

Although our late-September weather would have been beautiful – temps in the 70s and mostly sunny – many of those days were ruined by smoke from two ongoing wildfires. With the doors and windows sealed up and all our air purifiers turned up high, I had to find ways to amuse myself indoors (which, sadly, I’ll be doing soon enough anyway).

A still life is always good indoor entertainment. So are online classes, and I have a few ready to go for the wet-weather months. I had intended to save France Belleville-Van Stone’s drawing courses for later in the fall or winter, but our smoky days were a different kind of bad weather, so I queued up “How I Crosshatch, Part 3.” This part of the description appealed to me: “If you thought crosshatching was a slow, meticulous, and ultra-technical affair, be ready to break some rules. We are now going to explore a messier, looser, and above all faster kind of crosshatching.”

Indeed, I always admire the work of artists who can do the kind of neat and tidy crosshatching that must be relatively slow and meticulous, but I don’t enjoy doing that kind. Years ago I took a pen and ink class at Gage in which we practiced that kind of hatching, and no matter how much I wanted it to be, it wasn’t for me. Since then, I’ve also tried hatching with a Bic ballpoint, and I enjoy the medium, but staying tidy is still not my thing. That’s why my ears perked up when I heard France refer to Part 3’s technique as “dirty” crosshatching. Now, that sounds like something I could get into! As for “breaking some rules,” I began by skipping Parts 1 and 2 and going straight to 3!

In the first lesson, France set herself and her students a time limit of 30 minutes. Using a 1.6mm Bic Cristal, she drew a portrait from a photo reference in an A5-size Moleskine sketchbook. I watched the entire demo (its such a pleasure just watching her work), then grabbed a Stillman & Birn Epsilon sketchbook in the same size and a black 1.6mm Bic and set my timer for 30 minutes.

Photo by @Earthsworld on Instagram

Although my “dirty” hatching and crosshatching are not nearly as finessed or nuanced as France’s, I was pleased that I got a relatively good range of tones within the time limit. The man in the photo reference probably wouldn’t be happy with the extra years I gave him, but otherwise, resemblance isn’t too bad, either. Most important, I love this kind of hatching, and if I enjoy doing it, I am much more likely to practice!

Guess what I’m doing for InkTober this year? Stay tuned for occasional updates on my progress with this annual challenge, which I have been participating in since 2015.

6 comments:

  1. I don’t enjoy cross hatching in a slow, methodical way either. Good to know there’s an alternative! Great portrait! Sorry to hear about the smoke, since I’m in Northern CA, it’s hard to be “locked” inside.
    Cathy I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava!! I don't know if I think he looks older, but I would say he looks less angry and more sleepy! I am going to check out the dirty cross-hatching. I think the king of hatching is Alphonse Dunn, but I can only watch for a short time. I definitely couldn't stand to be so meticulous. Anne HwH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This "dirty" crosshatching business has definitely changed my whole approach and outlook on crosshatching!!

      Delete
  3. This kind of hatching looks like it would be so much fun! I will have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people who don't like the tedious kind of hatching might enjoy this!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...