Sunday, October 16, 2022

Missing Red at Green Lake

 

10/12/22 Green Lake

Between appointments last week, I made a quick stop at Green Lake for a little leaf peeping and sketching. The color seems late this year; even the sweet gums started later than usual. I hope to get to the whole stand of those soon, but for this quick sketch, I stopped on the south end where the crew teams launch their shells. Four years ago but several weeks earlier, I had sketched from the same spot. All the trees began turning much earlier that year.

For the most part, my secondary triad has been working out well, but sometimes it falls short. When I sketched the Dayton maples, I missed yellow. At Green Lake, I didn’t miss blue for the water, as violet is a good stand-in, but I missed red. This tall sweet gum is turning an intense reddish-purple, not orange (see the 2018 post linked above). I can see that I’m going to have to tweak the palette a bit for the rest of leaf-peeping season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...