Friday, May 20, 2022

Crinkly Tulips

 

5/15/22 tulips (Neocolor II in Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook)

Imagination, composition, color masses, color temperature – I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately. I love it all; I wouldn’t be doing it if I didn’t enjoy challenges that require thinking. But sometimes I get tired of thinking.

A week after I had brought home a bouquet of tulips, they had reached my favorite stage: crinkly, curly and fading, but not yet falling apart. All I wanted to do was respond to them with some scribbly color. Caran d’Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels were ideal.

Have I really not yet written a review of Neocolor II? Of all the products I currently use, Neocolor II may be one of my oldest. It goes way back to my mixed-media collage days. Although I don’t use them often, I seem to reach for them intuitively when I’m in a loose mood. Maybe one of these days I’ll take them out for some serious play and write that review.

2 comments:

  1. I like the playful looseness of this! I think I have an old set of these somewhere. I think I had them with me on my first trip to Italy with Jerry and a few of them fell off the wall I was using to rest my painting items on in Florence. They ended up in the Arno River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there's lots of art materials in the inspiring Arno River!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...