Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Compositional Dilemma at Greenlake Village

5/13/22 Greenlake Village courtyard (thumbnail)

 Enjoying coffee with a couple of sketcher friends recently, I made a few compositional studies as we chatted. The Greenlake Village courtyard is mostly in shade, which can be a problem (not to mention chilly), but it has enough skinny trees, benches and water features to keep it interesting. I chose the study I was most interested in (at left) to make a larger sketch in color (below). According to what I’ve been studying in Ian Roberts’ book and videos, I had simplified the scene and picked out a few strong lines and value contrasts to focus on.

A major risk in making a thumbnail study before the “real” sketch is that the second time isn’t fresh anymore. Since I had already sketched it, I got bored and started adding more to it. I cluttered up the composition that I had worked so hard to simplify in the thumbnail! When I realized what I was doing, I didn’t feel like finishing.

I like the thumbnail better.


Roberts stresses the importance of small studies to work out values and other compositional elements before beginning a painting because then the painter doesn’t have to worry about potential problems and is free to use color and brushstrokes to fully express the picture. I have trouble seeing values in color, so figuring those out first is definitely helpful.

Maybe my problem is that because I’m not making a painting as a final product, my “real” sketches are too similar to my thumbnails – the addition of color in a slightly larger size feels redundant and unnecessary. In any case, I certainly prefer my thumbnail to the second sketch.

On an earlier walk through the neighborhood, I had made some other small compositional studies (below). These took only about five minutes each, but I felt that they were finished – I had captured the essential lines and value contrasts, and to make them again larger and with color would not have added much.

5/11/22 Maple Leaf neighborhood

5/11/22 Maple Leaf neighborhood

5/11/22 Maple Leaf neighborhood















I seem to have stumbled upon another difference between thinking like a painter and thinking like an urban sketcher. Maybe I need to leave more out of the compositional studies so that I still have something to explore in the “real” sketches.

2 comments:

  1. I see what you mean. Your thumbnail sketches have all the details and look like finished sketches...just in pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on how to keep making the thumbnails without them taking over the potential life of the sketch!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...