Thursday, February 10, 2022

Rain or Shine

2/6/22 The Brothers (Olympic Mountain range)

As soon as I complained about being tired of winter, we were treated to a glorious day of sunshine. Temps in the 40s aren’t exactly warm, but if I can leave my down parka and gloves at home, that’s good enough for me.

We’re still walking through the ‘hood nearly every day, rain or shine, and I capture small stories as I go. I really enjoy putting these sketches of ordinary moments into my Field Notes “whatever” journal. They are the same kinds of sketches I’ve been making in Field Notes for many years now, yet they had always been segregated in notebooks designated for sketches. Putting them into the same notebook as my observations, memos, ideas and the rest of my brain dump somehow makes more sense: all the detritus of my day in one place. I wish I’d thought of it a long time ago!

2/6/22 Downtown Seattle skyline from Maple Leaf Park

By the way, if you’re curious about that rainbow pencil I used for the first two sketches, it’s a new 5.6mm rainbow lead that I popped into my Koh-i-Noor “Magic” clutch. The lead is one of a set of five color combinations that I found on eBay. I doubt I will write a full review of these; they just don’t excite me enough one way or another. I like how thick these leads are, but they are too hard for the five-minute sketches I want to do with them. My favorite rainbow pencil is still the Camel for its soft core and seven swirled colors (see more comments about rainbow pencils). 

1/13/22 Men digging

1/21/22 Maple Leaf water tower

1/25/22 This was the final cleanup of the fallen willow I showed in  my Jan. 12 post.

2/4/22 The two roofers came down just as I had started to sketch, but at least
I caught this guy working on the window.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry the rainbow led isn't exciting you. I like the look of the colors⁄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the colors too, but I was hoping it would be softer!

      Delete
  2. You had me at rainbow! (and you know it ;-)
    I had to get one of those clutch pencils and got a 6 pack of multi rainbow leads by another brand. but, nothing can match the 7 in 1 rainbow pencils for color or creaminess. Love the mountain sketch!! Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did know it! ;-) Wish I could find some thick leads as soft as the 7-in-1!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...