Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Not a Nocturne

 

2/4/22 10 a.m., Maple Leaf neighborhood

At 10 a.m., the sky looked nearly uniformly gray. Yet through my west-facing studio window, the light was subtly warmer closer to the horizon and cooler above. It would be difficult to show this on white paper, but I knew it would be fun on black.

Drawing only the sky shape was also a begrudging opportunity to clarify that weird structure over the deck of the house at right. Whenever I sketch this view, I usually fudge that part with vague lines because I can’t see its shape well – or its purpose. Maybe the owner had visions of a trellis but never got around to growing plants.   

1 comment:

  1. I've always love the silhouette view in a sketch. I can see your subtle color variation from closer to the horizon to higher. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...