Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Komatsu is Baaaaack

5/14/14 Platinum Sepia and Diamine Grey inks, Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

Just about a month ago, a Komatsu crawler excavator showed up on our block, along with the “no parking” signboards, and we all had plugged our collective ears in anticipation. The excavator did make a large hole in the street, but mostly it spent a couple of weeks doing nothing but take up space. Then it went away, leaving only a plate-covered hole in the ground and questions.

It’s baaaaack – and this time it has a jackhammer on it. Now the fun – and noise – really begin! (Four-year-old boys intuitively understand this. As I was sketching, the boy whose house the Komatsu is parked in front of came out with his mom. At the sight of the returned crawler, he cheered and jumped up and down!) Rather than sketch the whole Komatsu again, I decided to focus on the soon-to-be noisy business end of it. To show the part I detailed, I took a cue from Mike Daikubara, who often draws the whole object and then pulls out certain elements to enlarge and focus on.

I have to go look for my earplugs now.

2 comments:

  1. You really captured a lot of the detail on this machine...glad it wasn't running at the time. LOL Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the details of the jackhammer, Tina. I've gotten behind in my RSS feeds. You've been very active lately. You're putting me to shame :-)

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...