Friday, May 23, 2014

OMSI

5/20/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
After a couple of heavenly days at Cannon Beach, we made the short drive to Portland to visit my brother and see a few sights. Our first stop was the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, which was about to open a new dinosaur exhibit – unfortunately, a few days after we left. Workers were still setting up displays, including an animatronic dinosaur of some kind that was covered with fur (I thought all dinosaurs were scaly reptiles). It was amusing to see this guy sewing up the big guy’s leg.

5/20/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao ink, Sailor pen
My favorite thing to sketch in any science museum is all the animal skeletons, and I found a sabertooth skull to sketch. In the paleontology lab, a volunteer was using what he called a tiny jackhammer to painstakingly remove stone from a Thalattosaur’s skull. He said it would probably require a total of 10,000 to 20,000 hours of work to finish all the pieces the museum had acquired of this animal’s skeletal remains.

(See my Flickr album of photos and more sketches from our week in Cannon Beach and Portland, Oregon.)

5/20/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao ink, Sailor pen

3 comments:

  1. I always love your skeleton sketches. The washable inks are certainly the ideal tool for this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wonderful sketches. I'm the volunteer you captured at work there at OMSI. If anyone is interested in how we found the Thalattosaur, or how the preparation is going, check out my blog www.bernietheichthyosaur.bogspot.com. The skull has been removed from the large block at my elbow and is coming along beautifully!. Sincerely, Greg Carr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by at my blog, Greg! I enjoyed and appreciated watching you work and realizing what painstaking work it is.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...