Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Seattle Public Library Remix

5/6/14 Organics Studio Boron and other inks, water-soluble colored pencils, Tri-Tone pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
The Seattle Public Library’s Green Lake Branch is probably the only building I’ve ever sketched multiple times. As you know, I’m not a huge fan of sketching architecture, though as an urban sketcher, I can’t avoid it altogether. But there’s something about this classic Carnegie-style building that I haven’t yet tired of.

The first two times I tackled it, I went for the line-work-and-watercolor approach. Today I was in the mood to mix it up – literally. I did the line work with water-soluble Organics Studio Boron ink and put in the shading with waterbrushes filled with Diamine Grey ink and a mix of brown inks. The tree and other landscaping were a variety of inks, water-soluble colored pencils and Tri-Tone pencils. Even the sky ended up being a mixed approach: I wet the paper first and then scribbled on it with a dark gray water-soluble pencil. That didn’t get quite dark enough to convey the menacing clouds, so I gave it a quick wash with Diamine Grey.

Here are my previous sketches of the library:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...