Thursday, May 22, 2014

Cannon Beach

5/19/14 watercolor, Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook. (Haystack at dusk)
Greg and I have been going to Cannon Beach, Oregon, since before we were married. After honeymooning there in 1989, we tried to return every year, but sometimes other travels or the basic busy-ness of life got in the way, and we missed a year now and then.

We’ve been traveling more than usual the past several years, and somehow we had missed going to our beloved Cannon Beach for far too long. The last time we were there was in the fall of 2011 only a couple of weeks after I had begun sketching. Despite being intimidated by the spectacular view and knowing my sketches could never live up to it, I did make a couple of attempts back then (see one at the very end of this post).

Earlier this week we finally made it back to one of our favorite places on earth. Trying to make up for lost time, I sketched Cannon Beach’s iconic Haystack Rock as many times as I could – at high tide and low tide; in the morning, at midday and at dusk; in rain, sunshine and clouds.

I never tire of this view – seeing it, sketching it, living it.

(See my Flickr album of photos and more sketches from our week in Cannon Beach and Portland, Oregon. More posts tomorrow.)

5/20/14 water-soluble colored pencil, watercolor, Platinum Carbon ink, Stillman & Birn Beta
(Haystack at high tide, overcast)
5/19/14 water-soluble colored pencil, watercolor, Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook
(Haystack in sunshine)

5/19/14 watercolor, Zig marker, Pentalic landscape watercolor sketchbook
5/19/14 watercolor, Zig marker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper (Haystack at low tide)

5/18/14 Diamine Grey ink, water-soluble colored pencil, Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook
(Haystack at dusk)
10/3/11 My first attempt at sketching Haystack nearly 3 years ago.
I sketched most of the Haystack sketches from the comfort of our hotel room deck!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you were vacationing since you weren't posting. Love the sketches of the rocks, especially the ones with the people walking which gives a sense of scale to that massive rock. Great job on these!!! I'm going over to Flickr to see what else you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I discovered this wonderful beach during a discovery anniversary trip a few years ago. We loved this place so much we returned last year! Since I am new at sketching and watercolor, I look forward to finding that same hotel deck for sketching during our next visit. Your sketches are beautiful. What a great idea to create many sketches of the same subject during your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I'm happy to hear you've discovered the beauty of Cannon Beach! The hotel with that deck is the Hallmark Resort -- check it out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...