Friday, May 23, 2014

Folklife!

5/23/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen, Zig marker,
Canson XL 140 lb. paper
A year ago after our regular Friday morning sketch outing, Kate and I had made a side trip to sketch at the Northwest Folklife Festival in the afternoon. This year we decided to make the 43rd annual Folklife fest the main sketching event. Although only a small group of sketchers showed up, it was fun to see the variety of views that caught our attention: Some focused on a particular musical stage performance; others sketched the color and festive ambiance.

For me, the life of Folklife is defined by the buskers and other “informally” paid street performers who stand under any shade tree, sharing their particular art form. (Some individuals art form consists of expressing their opinions on placards.) After I sketched a bongo drummer named Caleb who seemed to be having the time of his life, I dropped a dollar into his cup and showed him the sketch. Delighted, he also seemed surprised. “You come to Folklife to sketch?” he asked, and when I replied by saying it’s my way of participating and interacting with all the music and activities, he suddenly got it. “Oh, just like me!” Indeed, just like him.

5/23/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen,
Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
5/23/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen,
Zig marker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

5/23/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen,
Zig marker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
5/23/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen,
Zig marker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
5/23/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen,  Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper (The man at left is a Folklife volunteer)
5/23/14 Diamine Indigo ink, Zig marker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

6 comments:

  1. Great group of sketches illustrates the festive day!
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketch series, Tina. Maybe you should have put a hat out while you were sketching :-)

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did so many sketches!!! Great job! The buskers must love that you sketch them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those buskers! I love the sketch you did of Jah Breeze and me, K Steel, on the pans! I messaged you on facebook too. I would love to know if I can print and share the sketch, giving you credit of course. So so so so many people take photos of us and sketch us, but we never ever see the results, so it would be an honor to preserve our artistic endeavors within your artistic abilities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, it's so cool that you found yourself here! Please feel free to use my sketch (I would appreciate credit and my blog address when you use it)! Hope to see you and Jah Breeze around town again sometime!

      - Tina

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Tina! I am honored and inspired by your creativity! We should definitely stay in touch. I am doing a month-long Daily Dance Diary with two colleagues who live in different parts of the country. It takes a lot of love and commitment to keep up your art like this every day. :) Cheers!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...