Thursday, January 11, 2024

Amaryllis, Part 1

 

Left side of page spread (Derwent Inktense Blocks in Hahnemuhle 100% cotton sketchbook)

As she has the last couple of years, a thoughtful friend gave me another potted amaryllis for Christmas because she knows how much I have enjoyed sketching them in the past. The first year, I took an illustrative approach – fairly tight, trying to be as accurate as possible. Last year I went looser using Caran d’Ache Neocolor II water-soluble crayons.

Trying to stay loose again, this year I’m using Derwent Inktense Blocks. They are what I have always wanted Neocolor IIs to be – not waxy and crayon-y (as Neo IIs are), but less dry and more something-y (how’s that for an articulate description?)! I still haven’t found a way to describe these blocks, but I sure like the way they apply and activate.

Right side of page spread

One issue I’ve had every year is that the amaryllis grows so tall that it’s difficult to find a place to put it while I sketch. My desk is way too high, yet the floor is too low. Propped up on a plastic storage bin on the floor is still a bit low, so I start out looking down on it, but by the time it reaches its full height (more than 22 inches this year), it works out well.

The storage bin makes a good foot rest as well
as a prop for the plant.

Another issue is lighting. Since my usual desk lamp can’t illuminate it, the ceiling light and natural light from a side window clash, giving indistinct highlights and shadows. Having had difficulty with lighting in the past, this year I am practicing faking it better with color temperature: I use a warmer red and yellow on the side that should be illuminated by the window, and a cooler red and cooler green on the side that should be in shade.

A third challenge is that this year’s gift has two stalks instead of one – twice as many blossoms to enjoy but also to fit into the composition! I’m not sketching it daily as I have in the past, but I’ve still already filled the first page spread (shown today as Part 1; stay tuned for Part 2 when all the blossoms finish opening).

This is a good opportunity to show you how I store my Inktense Blocks. Since I bought them all open stock, I don’t have a flat tin to store them in (which is just as well, because all Derwent tins annoy me – they are difficult to open, and the lid is not attached – a clumsy design). Rummaging through my supply of storage boxes and bins, I found a tin with a hinged lid and, even better, a transparent window. I think I initially bought it with the intention of making a teeny, tiny sketch kit. In any case, it’s just the right size to contain all the blocks I own (including a few not shown here because they are in my auxiliary sketch bag). The best part is that the tin has no room to spare, so I can’t acquire more blocks (an enforced limitation is the easiest way to manage my tendency to obtain all the colors of anything).

I chose the five blocks on top based on color temperature.

A tidy storage box -- and no room for more!

First of eight blossoms open!

4 comments:

  1. Bloom, just bloom - and also sketch - and all will be fine. -Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Fine and also bright red in our kitchen. :-)

      Delete
  2. Love seeing your sketches of the flowers. Great materials to use. Clever thinking about putting the amaryllis on a storage bin to give it more height. It is hard to get a good view of the flowers as they open.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...