Monday, January 15, 2024

Review: AFMAT Electric Pencil Sharpener

 

AFMAT electric sharpener

I don’t use electric sharpeners routinely (that job goes to my favorite Carl Angel-5 Royal), but every now and then when I have a whole set of pencils to sharpen at once, doing all that cranking is tiresome and time-consuming. That’s when I pull out the behemoth Bostitch Quiet Sharp 6. Just lately, though, it has been making a worrisome noise, and I’m afraid it might malfunction one day. In any case, almost as if YouTube could read my mind (I hadn’t even typed “electric sharpener” into my browser!), I was presented with a review of this AFMAT sharpener.

I was already familiar with AFMAT sharpeners – I had purchased one quite a while back because it was known for producing crazy-long points, and I was curious about using pencils sharpened that way. I ended up returning it immediately because it has a ridiculous charging system that requires a USB port, not an AC adapter, and it can’t be used while it’s charging! What a stupid design for a pencil sharpener!

Anyway, that experience had made me leery of AFMAT. The review I viewed, however, showed some gorgeous points on larger-barreled pencils and even charcoal, pastel and other pencils that are known to be difficult to sharpen without breaking. The reviewer also mentioned that the sharpener uses a standard AC adapter – no charging necessary. (The Amazon description says it runs on batteries, but it does not.) My curiosity got the better of me.

I chose four pencils to test: First up was a Conte charcoal pencil with a hefty barrel – a smidge larger than Derwent Drawing and Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle pencils, which are the two pencils I use most often with larger-than-average barrels. Due to their fragile nature, I typically sharpen charcoal pencils with a knife, but I shoved this one in with abandon. The auto-stop stopped, and out I pulled a beautiful point! The auto-stop is a handy feature for any electric sharpener.

...and after.
Conte charcoal pencil before sharpening... 

Next I tested a Derwent Drawing, a Museum Aquarelle, a vintage Berol Prismacolor and a Blackwing graphite pencil (the latter two have standard-size barrels). All came out with stunning points.

From top: Conte charcoal, Berol Prismacolor, Derwent Drawing, Caran d'Ache Museum Aquarelle, Blackwing


Since the AFMAT accommodates all the sizes of barrels I use most frequently, I can replace the now-questionable Bostitch that takes up so much space on my desktop. The slim AFMAT takes up less than half the footprint. Bonus: It comes in purple!

Edited: Anne’s question below prompted me to test a few more pencils, and I was surprised that these fit: The square-barreled Brutfuner colored pencil and the “jumbo mini” size Gekkoso 8B graphite pencil, which has a whopping 9mm diameter barrel! (Sadly, the Stabilo Woody does not fit, but I can’t imagine too many electrics or hand-cranks that could accommodate that fatty.) The AFMAT is becoming more versatile by the minute!


Square-barreled Brutfuner and Gekkoso: Two more difficult-to-sharpen pencils that the AFMAT handles with aplomb!

From left: Square Brutfuner, 9mm Gekkoso, Prismacolor for scale

6 comments:

  1. The enabler strikes again! But, seriously, I have been using my Museum Aquarelles more routinely, and just dealing with blunter points because they don't fit in my Ruiya electric sharpener. It slows down my sketching time to have to keep stopping to get my hand crank Dahle, which also leaves teeth marks in the barrel (frowny face). Now, will it work with the square Brutfuner pencils? Coincidentally, I have a set of pencils that I haven't started using because the whole set needs sharpening!! So, into the cart it goes. (I suppose it is too much to ask that it also sharpen my Woody pencils? Yeah, I thought so.) Anne HwH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the Woodys, but the Brutfruner squares! I'll update my post! Thanks for your question!

      Delete
  2. I love to see points like that! I don't use pencils very often and am happy with what I have. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of these sharpeners for a few months now. I’m a middle school art teacher and this sharpener is dedicated to the 1000 or so colored pencils that are flowing through my room. It’s still working like the day i got it. And that’s with middle schoolers sharpening their colored pencils all day long. It’s going strong I have high hopes it will last into next year. I know my use is hard. The stopping feather is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giving mine only light duty, so I'm very happy to hear that it's such a heavy-duty work horse! Apparently the blade can be replaced when it goes dull without dumping the whole sharpener.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...