Wednesday, August 2, 2023

In Praise of Trees

7/30/23 Wedgwood neighborhood

 While working on a sketch reportage project (which will likely be revealed soon), I have been doing some research that has raised my previously vague awareness of the benefits of trees. I think we all know that trees take in carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and I’ve certainly been grateful for the shelter of trees while sketching. But I did not know that in one year, a single large tree can provide as much cooling as 10 air conditioners running continuously. In poorer neighborhoods where fewer trees grow, the temperature can be significantly higher than in neighborhoods where plenty of old trees provide shade.

Standing in the shade of one tree to sketch these other shade-providing trees, I praise all trees for the services they provide to us on planet Earth.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't aware of that statistic either, but I do take advantage of the shade they provide when I'm out sketching. I like the colors. you used in this sketch!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...