Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Old Volvo

8/5/20 old Volvo in the 'hood

We’ve walked by this old Volvo many times: Someone on First Avenue Northeast must be a collector/restorer. Though dinged and battered on the side I sketched, it’s still looking good for its age – I think it’s from the ‘70s. The one behind it isn’t looking quite as good; it’s missing some parts, including a grill and headlights. (I’ll certainly go back there again to sketch it sometime.) As I sketched from across the street, the owner came out of the house and gave me a nod. Then he climbed into yet a third old Volvo and drove off. I wonder how many more he has?
Cobalt Green, where were you when I needed you?

Technical note: I’ve talked a few times about Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle Cobalt Green (182), which is essential whenever I go to Europe or any old city. I think if of it as verdigris, a difficult color to mix, and it’s the ideal cool, minty green of statuary and architectural details. Of course, I haven’t been carrying that color in my pandemic edition bag; I never thought I’d need it in Maple Leaf! But it was exactly the color I needed for this Volvo.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good sleuth and historian for colored pencils! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...